Emerging Earth Community is an effort to broaden understanding of the complex nature of current environmental concerns so as to respond with longer term perspectives and goals
Emerging Earth Community represents the creative work of John Grim and Mary Evelyn Tucker for the last several decades both within academia and beyond. This website illustrates the importance of a comprehensive epic story, spiritual and cultural values, and an integrating ethical framework. It suggests that responding creatively to the challenges of this critical moment in Earth's history requires that we:
- Understand our personal journeys in relation to the large scale story of the emergence of the universe, Earth and life itself. The Journey of the Universe is an epic story that illustrates our profound relatedness to the larger Earth community thus providing a context for creating the conditions for flourishing ecosystems and human cultures
- Engage the religions of the world and the many spiritual paths in drawing forth their ecological sensibilities and practices, often focused on particular bioregions, that are necessary to create a just, sustainable and peaceful future
- Embrace an ethical framework, the Earth Charter, that guides us in reinventing our lifestyles, institutions, and policies to create a viable human presence on Earth, both locally and globally
We have pursued these tasks by:
- Developing the Journey of the Universe project into a film, book, educational series, and website
- Providing, through a series of conferences, books, and master’s program on religion and ecology, the foundations and resources for religions to contribute to the great transition in dialogue with other critical sectors, such as science, policy, and economics
- Helping shape the Earth Charter, first in its drafting and now in its ongoing implementation with the Earth Charter International Council.
For an overview, see this brochure.